Maiasaura (meaning "good mother reptile" or "good mother lizard" ) is a large herbivorous hadrosaurid ("duck-billed") dinosaur genus that lived in the area currently covered by the state of Montana in the Upper Cretaceous Period (mid to late Campanian), about 76.7 million years ago. The first fossils of Maiasaura were discovered in 1978. The genus was named in 1979. The name refers to the find of nests with eggs, embryos and young animals, in a nesting colony. These showed that Maiasaura fed its young while they were in the nest, the first time such evidence was obtained for a dinosaur. Hundreds of bones of Maiasaura have been dug up. In this program, two juveniles Buck and Blaze were both main protagonists and Maiasauras.
In Dinosaur PlanetEdit
Maiasaura are the main subject of the episode, along with their main predator Daspletosaurus. They later form an alliance with Einiosaurus since both share the same enemy, but seem to abandon this later on. They later perish from the volcano.
At the end of the episode, they become Edmontosaurus.
- Strangely, all the Maiasaura, but especially seen in Buck and Blaze, are portrayed running on all fours, rearing up only to feed on tree-branches. In reality, Maiasaura would run on two legs only.
- Maiasaura is shown with shrink-wrapped limbs. In real life, their limbs would have had more muscle and some fat in their limbs, like Edmontosaurus in real life.
- Maiasaura did not Evolve into Edmontosaurus as Edmontosaurus had already existed in the Campaignian around the same time as Maiasaura.
- They appear to be smaller than the Daspletosaurus in the episode when in reality they were both around the same size.
- They re-use the Edmontosaurus (Anatotitan as they are called in the documentary) sound effects from When Dinosaurs Roamed America for the Maiasaura.